"The FDA Alumni Association is the official global network of former and current FDA employees, connecting and supporting alumni, the Agency, and the public health community"
Email addresses: Please be sure FDAAA has your current email address. Please check the directory on this web site to make sure. If your email address is outdated, or if you do not receive periodic FDAAA Updates from Alan Andersen, please let Karen Carson know. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
FDA Alumni Association's Annual Membership Meeting
Join Your Friends and Colleagues at the FDA Alumni Association's Annual Membership Meeting
- 4 pm - 5 pm, May 2, 2018
- Hogan Lovells LLP
- 555 Thirteenth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004
The annual meeting is open to all FDAAA members and those non-members interested in exploring membership
No charge to attend
Please RSVP by April 20, 2018 to email@example.com
Note: Names must be provided to permit entry through security
FDA Alumni Association's Spring Luncheon
Please Join Your Friends and Colleagues at the FDA Alumni Association's Spring Luncheon Featuring, Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., J.D., Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health. For a discussion of new developments in CDRH and the emerging technologies that it regulates.
- Friday, April 20, 2018 from 12:00 - 2:00 PM
- Jewel of India
10151 New Hampshire Ave.
Silver Spring, MD 20903
- $30 per person
Please RSVP by April 16, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Payments can be made directly via PayPal (select "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" to checkout as a guest)
It seems like yesterday that I prepared my remarks for last year's Annual Report. Time sure does go fast when you're having fun and are active. That is what this past year has been - "fun and active."
This year has been particular rewarding, since the Association has had an influx of new members who are interested in contributing their time by joining our various committees. The vitality of organizations like the FDA Alumni Association depends on members willing to get involved. During my tenure as President, there has been times when we had difficulty getting volunteers. Now that members are willing to step up to the plate, the workload is distributed and new and exciting ideas are driving the Association in a positive direction.
The Board of Directors, under the leadership of the Chairman, Nancy Myers and Vice Chairman, Andy Bonanno have done a great job is steering the Association on a course of future expansion and growth. I particularly want to recognize Andy's contribution at this time since, by rule, he will be cycling off the Board this year. The work he has done to develop the successful mentoring program for ORA managers has been just one of the many examples of his contributions in the ten or more years he has held leadership positions in the FDAAA.
The strategic planning process we undertook this past year is expanding the services we offer to our members and has confirmed that there is a strong desire to accommodate the professional and social needs of our members "outside the Beltway." Social events held in places like San Francisco have tripled in size. We are hoping to take advantage of tying into preexisting groups that have been meeting in places like Dallas, Minneapolis, New York and elsewhere for years, as we strive to expand our membership to all current and former FDA employees. After all, the FDAAA is an organization that is not restricted only to those retirees who live and work in the DC area.
This Annual Report provides a good summary of our past year's accomplishments. I think you will agree by a quick read of the report that the FDA Alumni Association is a unique organization that is dedicated to keeping the FDA family connected and it supports the Agency we have and continue to respect.
Finally, let me close by inviting all current and former FDA employees who are not currently FDAAA members to consider joining. We welcome you and I am confident you will find it to be a great organization. You can find an application form on the membership page of our website (www.fdaaa.org). Sign up. You will be glad you did!
Edward A. Steele
For almost a decade FDAAA has sponsored an FDA history educational session for the FDA Fellows, a group of young professionals working at the agency, many of whom will become permanent employees. This year the panel was, from left, FDAAA members Wayne Pines, Nancy Myers, Andrea Chamblee, Brian Harvey and Coleen Klasmeier. Some of the Fellows actually joined FDAAA after the half day session, which also included a lecture from FDA historian Suzanne Junod and a presentation on FDA's budget by Steven Grossman of the Alliance for a Stronger FDA.
On January 19, 2018, a glimmer of spring was in the air as a crowd of over 40 FDA Alumni Association members gathered in the sunny Terrace Dining Room at Mrs. K's Tollhouse restaurant in Silver Spring for an informative lunch with Dr. Peter Marks, the Director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER). While enjoying a delicious buffet (that finished with amazing cookies), current and former employees from across the Agency enjoyed the informal setting in which Dr. Marks discussed a wide array of topics, from recent FDA approvals of CAR-T cell therapies, innovative new developments in the stem cell arena, and a preview of CBER priorities for 2018. We are grateful that Dr. Marks could take the time to spend with our members. Please stay tuned for future FDAAA events!
FDAAA held its second annual West Coast Networking Event in early January during the 36th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference in San Francisco. More than 30 FDA alumni and guests - triple the attendees from the previous year - gathered at the popular Hotel Zetta to reconnect with old colleagues and make new contacts. We look forward to having an equally successful event next year!
Recent FDAAA Events
- Report from President (3/1/18)
- FDAAA Sponsors FDA Fellows Session (2/10/18)
- West Coast Networking Event (2/1/18)
- FDAAA's Winter Luncheon Featuring Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D. (1/20/18)
- A Winter Celebration (12/14/17)
- Eastern Shore Informal Gathering (7/23/17)
- FDAAA Meets and Greets Current Employees (6/26/17)
- Another Successful Spring Fling (6/22/17)
- Dr. Scott Gottlieb is New FDA Commissioner (5/12/17)
- Dr. Hamburg Receives FDAAA's Wiley Award (5/11/17)
- FDAAA Briefs FDA Fellows Class on FDA History, Perspective (1/24/17)
- FDAAA Luncheon on West Coast, A Huge Success (1/18/17)
- FDA and FDAAA Refresh MOU after 13 years (12/13/16)
- FDAAA's Hail to the Chief Counsels and Their Deputies a Resounding Success (12/12/16)
- Hail to the Chief Counsels (12/09/16)
- FDAAA Midwest Inaugural Luncheon Held in Chicago (12/09/16)
- In Memorium: Ekopimo Ibia, M.D., M.P.H., MRCPCH, FWACP (Peds), FRCP (06/27/16)
- Spring Fling! (05/23/16)
- FDAAA Honors Three Leaders (05/23/16)
- FDAAA Members Are Updated on Combination Products (04/12/16)
- FDA Alumni Advisor Program a Big Success (03/25/16)
- FDAAA Contributes to WHO Guideline on Good Regulatory Review of Practices (02/20/16)
- FDAAA Conducts Seminar for FDA Fellows (01/09/16)
- Reception for Chiefs of Staff (12/10/15)
- Luncheon November 6, 2015 (11/06/15)
- FDAAA International Network visits with CFDA Officials and BioBAY Entrepreneurs (08/03/15)
- Dr. Florence Houn Receives DIA China Excellence in Service Award (08/03/15)
- FDAAA International Network Expands Footprint at 2015 DIA China Annual Conference in Shanghai China (08/03/15)
- FDAAA International Network hosts an "FDAAA and Friends Night" event in Shanghai (08/03/15)
- FDAAA International Network Featured at 51st Annual DIA Meeting (08/01/15)
- Andrew Bonanno Receives FDA Distinguished Alumni Award (06/29/15)
- Michael Taylor Receives FDAAA Wiley Award (06/28/15)
- FDAAA Launches New Year at Annual Meeting (04/20/15)
- FDAAA Elects New Board Members, Names Officers (04/20/15)
- FDAAA Luncheon with FDA CDER Center Director, Janet Woodcock, MD, April 2, 2015 (04/10/15)
- NEW FDA Alumni Mentor Program to Begin in the Fall! (8/31/17)
- FDA Celebrates 40th Anniversary of Medical Devices Amendments (06/21/16)
- FDA Seeking "Objective" Reviewers for Grant Funding (04/19/16)
- Vacancy Announcements for Key Alumni Association Positions (12/18/15)
- FDA and FDAAA to Collaborate on Pilot Alumni Advisor Program (04/17/15)
- Opportunity: RAPS Seeks Regulatory Experts (03/10/15)
- FDAAA Praises Hamburg for Her Dedication To FDA's Mission and Looks Forward to Working with Dr. Stephen Ostroff Who Will Serve as Acting Commissioner (02/05/15)